208 Hewett Street, Judge Oscar W. Schoengarth House (1915) #3
This house was a groom's gift to his new bride. Ground was broke for the house in May of 1915. After the marriage of Oscar W. Schoengarth and Olga Dodte in August of 1915 it became their home. Oscar was born in Neillsville in 1879. He was the son of the local brick maker, August Schoengarth, who came to America from Germany in 1869. The bricks used in the construction of many of Neillsville's historic buildings came from Neillsville's only brickyard located between Oak and Park Streets. Oscar received his law degree from the University of Wisconsin. He practiced law with Spencer M. Marsh until he was elected Clark County Judge in 1906. Schoengarth was re-elected County Judge until his retirement in 1956 when he was replaced by his son Lowell. The house exhibits a gambrel roof with flared deep overhangs. Three two-window dormers appear on the east-facing facade. The half circle windows that appear in the gable ends are repeated in molding motif above the two three-window groups of the first elevation. An enclosed colonnaded entry pavilion with sidelights is center on the front facade, situated under the flared roof edge.
EL – The structure is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
LR – The structure is listed on the Local Historic Register
NR – The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places