26 Hewett Street - Mahar / Bruley / Dewhurst House (circa 1878 to 1882)                    #2

William Mahar was operating a stage line, from Hatfield to Owen, when he built the north portion of this house. Emery Bruley, a blacksmith, inventor and haberdasher, added the south portion of the house in 1885. Bruley duplicated the Italianate architectural details adding additional Queen Anne embellishments. Lumber baron, banker, and State Legislator Richard Dewhurst purchased the home in 1886.Dewhurst added the tower roof to the north angled bay and the Colonial Revival Porch with Porte-cochere. These additions reflected current trends in architectural style. The carriage house was built in 1886 to accommodate carriages, horses and cows.  The Dewhurst family continued a 72-year residency of the home ending in 1958. All three of these early Neillsville pioneers helped to shape and define this community.  LR

EL – The structure is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
LR – The structure is listed on the Local Historic Register
NR – The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places